Monday, February 20, 2012

The whisper

I walked into a darkened room and heard a voice riding on the whispers of the wind outside
It called to me, knew me and my possibilities, danced into my mind like dandelions on the breeze
It beckoned I hear its warnings and caressed my concerns and fears
It taunted my doubts so that they were no longer prominent in my mind, and I was at ease
I left the room feeling at peace with the world, yet longing to know more
Each night I would return there and listen to the voices that carried my hopes and dreams
Each night I would learn more of myself, and understand more clearly the man I was to become, and the man I was already
My past pains vanished with the knowledge of my future
My hardships that I have overcome have shaped my present and no longer linger in my heart
Each night I learned how to look to the world with open eyes and an open heart
I learned acceptance without expectations
Acceptance of myself, of others, of things I could not change, simply of the world around me
I learned perseverance, and strength of character
I learned that all I hoped to be, I already was
I have lived in a world of expectations and thus never learned to accept myself
I looked to the past and learned from my mistakes
All that I have overcome has shaped the man standing before the mirror each day
I live in the present and accept my life counting each blessing
Celebrating each day with renewed vigor, my thirst for life cannot be quenched
All the while I never spoke, merely listened, learned, absorbed
When at once the whispers quieted and became distance
I screamed at the voice, “HOW CAN I KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE? You are but a whisper in my mind.”
The whisper returned, “Believe, accept, and overcome.” and with that the whisper was gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment